Pages

Saturday 8 March 2014

Saying good bye to Hong Kong... for now

As I sit here, trying to figure out how to fit my belongings, which have surely swelled in the humidity, into my small suitcase, I’m also saying my good byes to Hong Kong.

It’s been a remarkable time, and I feel I can say that I now know the city a little bit. It would take  years to truly get under its skin. But it took only a little while for it to get under mine. This adventure has surprised me at every turn, as much an external journey as an internal one. In learning about Hong Kong I’ve learned about myself …

I’ve learned that there aren’t any wrong turns, only different turns, and discovery comes from walking down the streets you’ve never travelled.

I’ve learned that there is always something new to see if you open your eyes, and always something new to feel if you open your heart.

And I’ve learned that if we look, every day, for the small wonders, we will find them in abundance.

So this isn’t the end, dear friends, it’s merely the first chapter. Like Dorothy so eloquently said, after her Technicolor adventures in Oz, "The next time I go looking for my heart's desire, I won't look any further than my own backyard. If it's not there, then I never really lost it to begin with."

Smart cookie that Dorothy. I’ll take her advice. London is surely as fascinating as Hong Kong, seen through adventuresome eyes. 










No comments:

Post a Comment